Municipal Planning for Extended Producer Responsibility for Printed Paper and Packaging Summit
On December 6, 2022, Divert NS, hosted an in-person/virtual summit focused on Municipal Planning for Extended Producer Responsibility for Printed Paper and Packaging (EPR for PPP). The goal of the summit was to identify information that municipalities will need in advance of negotiations with the industry organization that will oversee a PPP program.
The summit consisted of three main sessions, including: provincial/municipal updates on the status of a potential EPR for PPP program for Nova Scotia; panel presentations from municipal representatives from British Columbia and Ontario who were involved in negotiating key terms with the PPP industry; and a facilitated/working session to understand and prioritize next steps.
This was Divert NS’ second hybrid summit, with approximately 40 key stakeholders attending in-person and 25 attendees joining online. Attendees included provincial government staff, representatives from a variety of municipal stakeholder groups and environmental organizations.
The following presentations were delivered at the summit:
- EPR PPP Provincial Overview - Ashley David, NS Environment & Climate Change
- EPR Building Municipal Consensus – Shannon Betts, Halifax Solid Waste
- Panel 1: British Columbia’s Experience & Observations
- Panel 2: Ontario’s Insights on Planning Considerations
- Dave Gordon, Association of Municipalities of Ontario
- Peter Hargreave, Policy Integrity Inc.