Divert NS is dedicated to the commitment of equity and strives to create a workforce that is reflective of the diversity of Nova Scotians. The Company is committed to encouraging diversity which includes, but is not limited to, age, gender, persons with disabilities, racialized persons, Black, Indigenous and people of color.
The Company shall conduct its employee related actions and programs on the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion, which shall encompass recruitment, hiring, remuneration, benefits, promotions, and training.
No person shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.
This policy applies to all candidates for employment and all employees at all work locations.
The Company recognizes that its people are its most important assets and so it is committed to the maintenance and promotion of workplace equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The Company is dedicated to employing the best people to do the best job possible and the Company strives to create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of team members are valued. The Company believes all employees and potential employees should be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect.
The Company believes equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace as it’s the right thing to do, is within the Company’s best interest, is good management practice, and makes sound business sense. Diversity contributes to creativity and increased productivity as well as improved community relations.
The Company must strive for a diverse and inclusive workforce to ensure compliance with all applicable statutes and regulations to make sure all job applicants, candidates and employees are treated equitably.
- The Company shall state its policy position as being an equitable employer that strives for diversity in all employment opportunity advertisements placed by or on behalf of the Company. The Company shall also state that the Company is committed to encouraging diversity which includes age, gender, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, Indigenous peoples in Canada, and racially visible minorities. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and may voluntarily self-identify if they wish to be considered under the Company’s Equity and Diversity Policy.
- The Company shall broadly promote its Equity and Diversity Policy by including a statement in all correspondence, media communication and printed matter for employment/hiring purposes. This statement shall also promote a culture that values diversity and a welcoming message to encourage applications of the designated groups.
- Employee selection will be based on the principles of merit, fairness and equity. When the Company selects candidates for employment, promotion, training, or any other benefit, it will be on the basis of their education, experience, skills, knowledge, aptitude and ability. For current employees, years of service may also be taken into consideration.
- Discrimination will not be tolerated. Supervisors and managers are accountable to ensure the maintenance of a welcoming and respectful environment. The Company shall consider, complaints or grievances from any individual who has reason to believe that they have been affected by prohibited discrimination so the Company can apply corrective measures. A current employee should discuss any complaint or grievance with their direct supervisor or with Human Resources. A candidate for employment should discuss any complaint or grievance with Human Resources (Director of Corporate Services and Executive Assistant). In Nova Scotia, individuals and groups are protected against discrimination by the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.
- Employees are expected to comply with the Act and apply the Company’s Equity and Diversity Policy on an ongoing basis. Each employee is expected to treat all other employees with dignity and respect and in a fair and non-discriminatory manner in all employment related dealings.
- This policy shall be posted on the Company’s website.
- This policy will be monitored and reviewed annually to ensure that equity and diversity are continually promoted in the workplace.
- This policy is fully supported by the Company and its Board of Directors.