We are champions for new ways of thinking and work with industry and academic institutions to provide funding for innovations in waste diversion.
Learn more about our impact on Nova Scotia
The Impact of Recycling
Did you know recycling beverage containers and tires has contributed $594.7 million dollars to Nova Scotia's economy since 1996? Here are a few more facts about how recycling beverage containers and tires impacts Nova Scotia's environment and economy*:
- Avoided Landfill Space – recycling beverage containers and tires since 1996 has saved over 273,000 cubic metres of landfill space in Nova Scotia.
- Greenhouse Gases Avoided – recycling beverage containers and tires saves over 40,000 tonnes of GHG emissions per year. This equates to removing 6,000+ cars each year from Nova Scotian roads.
- Job Creation – the beverage container and tire recycling programs currently support 836 jobs and have created the equivalent of 13,252 full-time jobs since 1996.
- Income Earned – those jobs equate to $29.2 million in wages earned in fisal 2017, and $453 million earned over since 1996.
- Cost Savings – by recycling beverage containers and tires, Nova Scotians save $5.2 million annually in municipal curbside collection costs, totaling $91.8 million since 1996!
*facts compiled for Divert NS by independant consultants Gardner Pinfold. Updated for fiscal 2017.