Education is key to Nova Scotia’s recycling and waste diversion success. Divert NS works closely with many key partners to spread the word about the benefits of recycling and composting. Together we have helped to build a culture of recycling in our province.
Activities and Tools
- Free educational visits to businesses, schools, and community groups through local waste reduction educators. See the list below for the contact in your area.
- A toll free hotline Nova Scotians can call for information on waste diversion programs: 1-877-313-7732 and in Truro: 902-895-7732.
- A resourceful website offering information on what goes where – everything from beverage containers to paint to electronics.
- Hosting summits to bring together key stakeholders to discuss specific opportunities or challenges in waste-resource management.
- Providing free waste management signage to businesses, events and residents to encourage proper sorting.
- Hosting training days and workshops for waste reduction educators, enforcement officers and ENVIRO-DEPOTTM operators
School Waste Assessment Form
To have a successful waste management program, schools need proper waste containers and signage, and the participation of everyone in the school! Divert NS' School Waste Assessment Form helps staff and students identify whether key areas have proper sorting bins. We suggest it is completed early in the school year and again mid-way through the year to track improvements.
Key Dates to Celebrate Recycling & Diverting Waste
March 22, 2017 - World Water Day
March 25, 2017 (8:30-9:30PM) - Earth Hour
April 22, 2017 - Earth Day
May 7-13, 2017 - Compost Awareness Week
June 5-11, 2017 - Environment Week
June 5, 2017 - World Environment Day
June 8, 2017 - World Ocean’s Day
October 16-22, 2017 - Waste Reduction Week
Local Waste Reduction Educators
|REGION 1: CAPE BRETON|
|Ellen Murphy||Inverness County||902-787-3503|
|Jocelyn Bethune||Victoria County||902-295-2117|
|REGION 2A: ANTIGONISH - GUYSBOROUGH|
|Nicole Haverkort||Antigonish- Guysborough||902-232-2563|
|REGION 2B: PICTOU COUNTY|
|Marla Cameron||Pictou County||902-396-1495|
|REGION 3: EAST HANTS - CUMBERLAND - COLCHESTER|
|Andrea Trask||East Hants||902-883-7098 x.104|
|Brenda Rioux||Cumberland||902-667-5141 x.223|
|Darlyne Proctor||Colchester||902-897-0450 x.104|
|Deborah Searle||Colchester||902-897-0450 x.106|
|REGION 4: HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY|
|Larisa Lensink||Halifax||902 476-8514|
|Hilary Hayes||Halifax||902 830-4346|
|REGION 5: ANNAPOLIS - KINGS|
|Andrew Garrett||Valley Waste||902-679-1348|
|Dale Roberts||Valley Waste||902-679-0647|
|Andrea Gibson-Garrett||Valley Waste||902-679-0920|
|REGION 6: SOUTH SHORE - WEST HANTS|
|Valda Walsh||Region 6||902-624-1339|
|Kirk Symonds||Region 6||902-624-1339|
|Solid Waste Hotline||Town of Windsor||902-798-6682|
|Christine McClare||West Hants||902-798-6943|
|Tammy Harnish||Chester / Lunenburg (Town)||902-275-2330|
|Stephanie Smits||Municipal Joint Services (Lunenburg Co.)||902-543-2913|
|Valeria Kean||Shelburne Shared Services||902-875-5336|
|REGION 7: YARMOUTH - DIGBY|
|Amy Hillyard||Waste Check||902-742-1312|
|Sharon LeBlanc||Waste Check||902-742-9340|
|Tracy Raymond||Waste Check||902-742-1312|