Green Cart Tips
Since 90% of Nova Scotians have access to a curbside green cart program for organics, it's important to be aware of some helpful hints to make your composting experience problem-free.
- Wrap wet food waste in paper or boxboard
- Empty your countertop mini bin daily — you may even rinse with a mild detergent
- Store smelly items in your freezer until collection day
- Place your cart at the curb every collection, even if it's not full
- Store the cart in a ventilated, shaded location
- Alternate layers of wet waste (i.e. food) with dry waste (i.e. leaves)
- Place a few sheets of loosely balled-up newspaper on the top of the grate to soak up any excess liquid
- No plastics or metal in the green cart
- No ashes in your green cart — they could be a fire risk
Still not finding what you’re looking for? Find out what programs are offered in your municipality.
Find out more about waste sorting in your neighbourhood.
Click the link below to see your local sorting guidelines.Sorting Guides